Website design is the process of creating websites. It encompasses several different aspects, including webpage layout, content production, and graphic design. While the terms web design and web development are often used interchangeably, web design is technically a subset of the broader category of web development. Websites are created using a markup language called HTML.
Why not talk about it?
Let us look at some issues that you might want to discuss or consider. There are several principles of website design. These include examining different layouts. But there are a host of other issues as listed below:
- Management and website design: files, folders, directories and file names etc
- Internet (What is the Internet?, How did it come about?, World Wide Web, Accessing the Web, The Internet and You, Installing a Browser, Internet Providers, Browsing the Net, Favourites, Accessing a Web Page Stored in URL, Printing a Web Page, Saving a Web Page, History)
- E-mail (Reply, Forward, New Message, From, Carbon copy, Blind Copy, Multiple Send, Subject, Message, Spell Check, Send, Sent Items, Deleted Items, Address Book, Sending Attachments, Sending Folder, Access and Store Attachments, Send/Receive All, Security, Signature etc)
- Hyperlinks (What are they, how to create them, using text as a hyperlink, using an image as a hyperlink, opening a linked page in a new window, anchors, menu systems and navigational aids etc)
- Lists (Why use them, ordered list, unordered list, definition lists and navigating with lists etc)
- HTML editing (text, background, adding colour to text, body and hyperlinks, HEX codes, font styles, font sizes, font attributes, heading tags, paragraph tags, breaks, comments in HTML view, deprecated tags, meta-tags, search engine optimisation, online editors etc)
- Forms (E-mail, forms, radio buttons, checkboxes, selection menu, text boxes, alignment, using tables, password boxes, text areas, submit buttons, what happens when you press submit, image verification etc)
- Tables (structure, HTML coding, tables within tables, properties, right click, merging and splitting cells, formatting)
- Images (logo, heading, alternative description, creating a simple button, creating a four-state PNG button in Fireworks, rollovers, HEX codes for photoshop/Dreamweaver compatibility, image as background, resizing, JPEG compression and saving images from the web etc)
- Frames (basic frames, floating, browser compatibility, formatting & I-frames)
- Publishing (Defining root and destination host folders, buying a domain name, uploading, downloading and off-shore hosts etc)
- Learn to create SEO friendly 404 error pages. Having a custom 404 error page allows a website designer to create something that is specifically designed to help users when they can not find what they are looking for.