Project management – So what is Project? It is a collaborative enterprise. It involves careful planning to achieve an aim. Projects are usually temporary social or work systems. A project is not a routine operation. A project team often includes people who don’t usually work together.
- The development of software
- The construction of a structure
- The assistance given after a natural disaster
- The expansion of sales into a new market
Projects must be expertly managed to deliver results on-time, on-budget and that meet the needs of organisations.
Project management is the application of processes, methods, knowledge, skills and experience to achieve the project objectives. It’s a strategic competency for organisations. It enables them to tie project results to business goals. This means they become more competitive. Project management processes fall into five groups: Initiating, Planning, Executing, Monitoring and Controlling, Closing
Project management includes:
- defining the reason why a project is necessary
- capturing project requirements
- specifying quality of the deliverables
- estimating resources and timescales
- justifying the investment
- securing corporate agreement and funding
- developing and implementing a management plan
- leading and motivating the team
- managing the risks and issues
- monitoring progress
- managing the budget
- maintaining communications with stakeholders and the organisation
- provider management
- closing the project
- What is your project?
- What problems do you foresee in implementing it?
- Who is in your team?
- Do staff members have allocated roles?
- How much will it cost?
- What skills are involved?
- Do you have any constraints (time or money etc)
- Do you need any permissions or documentation?
- Have you created a plan?
- How long will the project take?
Project management thus
- provides a greater likelihood of achieving the desired result;
- ensures efficient and best value use of resources;
- satisfies the differing needs of the project’s stakeholders.
Project Management can be taught as part of a Business English Course (Kursy Angielski w Biznesie). It can however be taught on its own as a specialist topic where we examine ways in which your company can move forward etc.